Here are a few quick tips for checking your shots in camera:
1) Check your histogram. Make sure you don't have a spike on the right (highlights will be blown out) or on the left (shadows will be blocked up). This is really the only true way to check your exposures.
2) Use your camera's overexposure warning. On some cameras, you need to activate this very useful feature.
3) Zoom in on your image to check for important details.
4) Don't depend on the camera's LCD monitor to check the picture's brightness. You can be fooled by the monitor's brightness setting.
5) Check your shots with HoodLoupe:
Hoodman H-LPP3 HoodLoupe 3.0 Professional 3-Inch Screen Loupe
Explore the light,