Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Need Info? You've Come to the Right Place

As you may have noticed, I changed the URL of my blog to: That's because it's all about photo how-to info. (If you don't see in the URL window, that's because e-blogger never forgets an old URL, and automatically redirects an old URL to a new URL.)

If you have a specific question, please don't be shy. Post it here as comment. If I don't answer it here, I will try to answer it on the DPE podcast that I do with Juan Pons (who, in addition to being a wonderful photographer, knows a ton about computers, iPads and iPhones - not to mention shooting HD videos with an SLR.

In the meantime, here is a quick tip: Use your camera flash as a studio strobe. Fire it through a diffuser, as shown here, or bounce the light into a reflector.

The basic concept: You increase the size of the light source. The larger the light source, the softer the light.

Tech info:
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 24-105mm IS lens
Canon ST-E2 wireless transmitter
Westcott diffusers and stands
And . . . that's me holding a Westcott reflector, which is acting as a fill light.

Explore the light,

P.S. That's Vered Koshlano on the left in the opening photograph for this post. See more of Vered's work on her site. Vered is the co-author/photographer of my book, Studio and Location Lighting Secrets. Hey, like the cover shot of the book? My friend, fellow Canon Explore of Light and expert remote control helicopter flyer Eddie Tapp made that wonderful image.


Ted said...

Hey Rick! Wonderful info in this post. Was curious if you could consider doing a side-by-side comparison of Photomatix Pro and HDR Efex Pro? For me that would be helpful. As always thanks for all you do!

rcjaffe said...

Two related questions on taking pictures of people during your travels.
1. Do you pay them for taking their picture? If they ask for a few dollars for their picture do you pass it up or pay.
2. Do you try to get model releases. Can you use the pictures even without model releases.

Rick Sammon said...

1) yes, i pay adults. never children. i make donations to local schools, etc.

2) i sometimes get model releases,but in places like Mongolia and Cambodia.. it would be very difficult. I only use my pictures for educational purposes.

thank you,