Topaz Adjust is a totally cool plug-in that can help you awaken the artist within.
Topaz Adjust's Spicify effect can add detail, color and contrast to landscapes, seascapes and cityscapes - turning a straight shot into a more artistic shot. However, those effects are not always flattering when it comes to people photography.
Here's a little trick to get the best of both worlds - using Photoshop.
1) Go to Filter > Convert to Smart Filters.
2) Go to Topaz Adjust (bottom of the Filter menu after you download it) and apply the desired effect - don't worry about how the subject looks.
3) After you apply the effect, you'll see what looks like a layer mask in the Layers panel.
4) Next, click on the layers mask. With black selected as your foreground color, choose a soft brush and paint out the effect over the person. That is what I did here. Notice the difference in the background.
Another option (for Elements users):
1) Duplicate the layer.
2) Apply the Topaz effect to the top layer.
3) Using the erase tool (soft brush), erase the area over the person.
While you are on the Topaz site, click on my mug shot to see more examples.
Have fun with this one!
Explore the light,
P.S. You can see more examples of Topaz at the Plug-in Experience - and get some discounts while you are there.